Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Top 2 Tuesday- Money, Money, Money

This week's Top 2 Tuesday is one that's near and dear to my heart.  I have struggled a lot with spending in the past, but now I feel (pretty) disciplined about budgeting and money after doing my research.


1.  You need be a millionaire by retirement (and you can be)

{weheartit}

Not only is this something I've learned, it's something I know I'm going to have to do in order to retire comfortably.  At the age of 25 one should contribute $300/month to retirement.  Given the interest (not to mention employer matching!) you will have $1,000,000 by 65.  

Use the AARP Retirement Calculator to determine your own goals.

2.  Cash only

{weheartit}

I am a big subscriber to the Dave Ramsay financial theory: If you don't have the money, you don't buy it.  My goal is to never use credit cards again.  It's not worth it!  It's all about having a ton of savings to pull from when you need it.
  I have been using a cash-only spending plan for over a year now.   I follow a pretty strict monthly budget but I do allow myself an occasional splurge-- when I can afford it.  The key to a budget, like a diet, is to give yourself room to splurge occasionally. 

I can't wait to read all your money knowledge nuggets, so head on over to Taylor's and link up!  

3 comments:

  1. Oh yes, you contributing to retirement so young you will easily be a millionare! And cash is king! Love Dave Ramsey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both of your "two" are so true!

    Money and me have a fairly healthy relationship. I like to automate things (retirement, show fund, etc) so that I don't have to think too much about it.

    And PS... how is the diet going? A post of tops/ tricks/ yummy foods that are good for you would be so cool!

    ReplyDelete